Monday, January 20, 2014

Cruising


Quilt Documentation #155


Cruising
This quilt was started in a workshop with Sylvia Pippen while on a quilting cruise a year ago. For me, it's a cruising memory but those little fish and dolphins really seem to be cruising as well, hence the name.

My main interest in taking this class was to learn sashiko which I enjoyed thoroughly.  Japanese Sashiko thread is made of loosely twisted,  long-staple cotton and is very strong.
For the sashiko circles, I used an indigo dyed piece from one of our NOFA workshop experiment.
cotton dyed in indigo dye bath - sashiko stitched
However, applique is a different matter. I did learn a different applique technique, which glues the edges down prior to stitching. It made the stitching easier for sure but hasn't turned me in anymore of a hand applique fan. I keep trying, maybe something will click.

Fins are from a silk marbled in a G&S Dyes workshop many years ago. 
The process:

I decided not to buy a kit but use my own fabrics instead. I hand dyed the background (and the back) especially for this piece. It is painted with liquid dyes (Procion H).
The dolphins were the last applique so look a little better (I think)

I knew I didn't have any “dolphin” fabric so I found and bought some in an Australian quilt shop while on the cruise. 
Dolphin applique - quilting
The rest were hand dyed cottons and marbled silk from my stash.
fish applique - quilting

Sylvia hand quilts after all her applique is done. Since I don't hand quilt, I added the borders to the background and free motioned quilted prior to doing the applique.
back of Cruising - needs label
The pattern for this quilt is in Sylvia's book Paradise Stitched and is loaded with beautiful pictures and instructions of her gorgeous quilts.

Linking to Nina-Marie's Off the Wall Friday and The Needle and Thread Network.

Happy Quilting,

Terry

DOCUMENTATION:
Quilt Name:  Cruising
Description:  Hand dyed, appliqued fish and sashiko stitched circles
Pattern: Sylvia Pippen from her book Paradise Stitched
Size: 27" x 43"
Fabrics: 100% cotton, silk
Predominant colours:  Blue, green
Construction Techniques:Hand dyed, applique, sashiko
Back: 100% hand dyed cotton
Batting: Warm and Natural Cotton
Edge finish: Double fold french binding
Quilting: Free motion quilted on Domestic Machine
Quilted by: Terry Whyte
Sleeve: Yes
Label:
Date completed: Dec. 2013
Inspiration: Started in workshop with Sylvia Pippen (her pattern)
Quilt History: 
Maker: Terry Whyte



6 comments:

Margaret said...

Beautifully done, Terry! And thanks for the info on Sashiko. I have played around a bit with this and am working on a Japanese-style quilt, so reading about your experience is very much appreciated. :-)

Will Cook for Shoes said...

beautiful! I'm just learning how to applique... my first project was a turned edge, hand stitched... but I liked it because I could drag it down to the living room and work on it while being with the rest of the family. Beautiful results on your project!

tgallop@mts.net
www.willcookforshoes.ca

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Oh I love it!! I like anything with dolphins to start with, but it is a great piece.

elle said...

Indeed! This is very nice!

Margaret said...

Wow, that is beautiful!

Regina said...

Fantastic quilt, and such a great use for sashiko! Your applique skills look wonderful from here, and you certainly have an eye for colours.