Thursday, January 23, 2014

Art Prompts 1 & 2

ART PROMPTS

Over the past year of so, I have been playing around with several different media including collage, watercolour painting, embroidery, making journals and bookbinding and, of course, anything fibre - quilting, sewing, fibre art.

A few month ago as I was looking for inspiration I came across ideas on using art prompts, which led me to an article by Robin Olsen in an old issue of Cloth Paper Scissors.

I wrote down her 50 or so prompts and added a whole bunch of my own. There's an ongoing list beside my computer, whenever I see anything interesting, I add them to the list and they will be added to my container.

Art Prompts

Before Christmas I did a little trial run.


ART PROMPT #1 – LACE

My first prompt - “LACE”.
A challenge for me, I'm not a “lace” sort of person.

Then I remembered experimenting with a lacy fabric while trying to figure out how to make the sun rays in “Renewal”.

I went with organza but the lace looked interesting.

lace fabric
And then this photo came to mind. This was taken on a bright cold morning when everything was covered in hoarfrost.
Hoarfrost

Definition of Hoarfrost:
a grayish-white crystalline deposit of frozen water vapour formed in clear still weather on vegetation, fences, etc.

I decided to start small and simple.

This is a little 6” x 6” canvas that I painted in the same bright blue as the photo.
I then cut branches from a black shiny magazine page and collaged it on.
The “lace” was cut in tiny strips and glued on.

Here is “Frosty Morning”.

Frosty Morning

ART PROMPT #2 – GREY

I had an idea for making skinny strips place matfor Christmas and thought I could do a mini experiment making postcards, same shape, right?

Could I sew all the skinny strips into one piece and then cut them up?

I chose a “grey” leaf fabric for the background and a bright print for the strips.

fabric choices
I soon realized that I had a whole lot of strips meeting in the central area but that if I wasn't careful some of the postcards would only have one strip if any.

stitched and before cutting into postcards

I added a little decorative stitching and then quilted the whole piece before cutting it up into postcards.

They looked a little blah so I painted one of the leaves on each card with Tsukneko inks.

postcard
I used variegated thread to satin stitch the edges on two of the cards and off-white on the others. I prefer the white.

7 postcards and 1 bookmark
The skinny strips place mats went a totally different directions.

I made each place mat individually and all the same by cutting through all four layers in each set of four.

I also realized that I needed a really good contrast between the fabrics for the strips to show up well.

It was a good experiment!


So...........now what?

Last week I pulled out another prompt.



ART PROMPT #3 – USE TAPE

Check my blog tomorrow to see my “tape” project.


HERE'S MY PLAN

One prompt, one week, one project

Make something creative.

Use any Media.

Blog about the project every Friday.

Pick a prompt for the next week.


ANYONE WANT TO PLAY ALONG????

IF YOU DO:

  • BLOG ABOUT IT
  • LEAVE A NOTE IN MY COMMENTS ON MY FRIDAY POST – INCLUDING YOUR BLOG ADDRESS – (of the actual blog post, please)

OR
  • IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A BLOG, SEND ME A PICTURE OF YOUR PROJECT BEFORE THE FOLLOWING FRIDAY AND I WILL POST IT ON MY BLOG – todayinkenogami@gmail.com


Let's get creative,

Terry

No comments: