Thursday, May 23, 2013

President's Houses I


Quilt Documentation # 139

 This is the first in a series of four quilts made from blocks received from members of the Kirkland Lake Mile of Gold Quilters' Guild when I retired as president of the guild in 2000.

President's Houses I
I was asked what kind of blocks I would like and said “house or some type of building” with a muslin background and they could be any sizes. I received 37 blocks. I knew I wanted to make more than one quilt and that each one had to be different and special in its own way.

I divided the blocks into 2 sets of 12, one of 9 and one of 4.

For President's Houses I, I chose the smallest blocks which measured from 6” to 9”. I added grey strips at the tops and bottoms and blue strips to the sides in the courthouse steps design until all the blocks measured 12” x 12”.
ribbon embroidery

Libby Lehman's embroidered ribbons were all the rage and I decided to try that technique and have it looked like the ribbons twisted around the blue “columns” between the blocks.

detail
I machined quilted around the ribbons and a free motion loopy design all over the rest of the quilt.

tail end of ribbon and binding

hand dyed back of President's Houses I

Three more President's Houses to come!

Linking up to The Needle and Thread Network.

Happy Quilting,

Terry
DOCUMENTATION:
Quilt Name: President's Houses I
Description: House Sampler
Pattern: Original
Size: 41” x 49”
Fabrics: 100% cotton
Predominant colours: Blue, Grey
Construction Techniques: 12 “House” blocks set with Courthouse Step, Ribbon embroidery
Back: Hand dyed muslin
Batting: Polyester
Edge finish: Double fold french binding
Quilting: Free motion quilted on Domestic Machine
Quilted by: Terry Whyte
Sleeve: yes
Label:
Date completed:2002
Inspiration: Blocks received from members when retiring as president of guild
Quilt History: Display at the 2002 Kirkland Lake Mile of Gold Quilters' Guild Show, at Museum of Northern History
Maker: Terry Whyte

3 comments:

Regina said...

You found a great way to set those differently sized blocks together! That ribbon, it is not quilted right on the quilt?

Terry Whyte said...

Hi Regina:
The ribbon was "embroidered" on the quilt top only. I then just outlined it when doing the quilting.

Lawrence Cabinets said...

Thiss was a lovely blog post