Monday, December 31, 2012

O Tannenbaum V

Quilt # 116.

O Tannenbaum V

This is my last entry for the UFO Challenge 2012 issued by Judy Laquidara at Patchwork Times.  Have a look at what everyone else has accomplished.

This was #9 which is actually the November challenge.  It did not get done in November but I have now completed all of my UFOs from this challenge except for December's and a bit of quilting to finish on my October's challenge.  All the posts for this project can be seen here.

It was a good year for UFO busting, thanks Judy!   Still lots in the pile but it is definitely getting smaller. I'm really trying to complete everything that I start now!

O Tannenbaum V is the fifth in a series of stylized trees.

This is what I started out with this month:
from the UFO pile

I added the four corners using the 2 same batiks that were in the block.

Corners added and top marked for quilting
This will be a cushion, so on to the quilting. I used a piece of white cotton for the back which is now on the inside of the cushion. I love quilting feathers so I just had to make some corner designs.

quilting -front

And here's what the back looked like:
quilting - back





I made a matching piping using some of the green fabric, added it around the front piece.


cushion back - zipper - piping

The back is a 100% cotton brown print to which I added an invisible zipper before sewing to the front section.

I signed and dated it at one edge, using one of the alphabet stitches on my machine.
signed and dated

Wishing all a Very Happy 2013!

Terry

DOCUMENTATION

Quilt Name: O Tannenbaum V
Description: cushion of stylized tree
Pattern: original
Size: 18” x 18”
Fabrics: Batiks, 100% cotton
Predominant colours: green, brown
Construction Techniques: Layering of 2 fabrics, stitching and cutting away. Decorative stitches cover raw edges. Technique shared by Maurine Roy in magazine article.
Back: 100% cotton
Batting: bamboo
Edge finish: piping
Quilting: free motion
Quilted by: Terry Whyte
Label: stitched on back
Date completed: December, 2012
Maker: Terry Whyte

3 comments:

Lori said...

Very cute, like the detailed quilting on the back too.

Elsie Montgomery said...

How creative and artistic! Your quilting is a great addition!

Quilter Kathy said...

A gorgeous finish...love the quilting detail!