Wednesday, December 19, 2012

December, 2012 FMQ Challenge with Patsy Thompson

 Quilt #115 - Border Sampler


Border Sampler - Side One


This is number 12 and the last challenge of the year for the SewCalGal Free Motion Quilting Challenge.

Border Sampler - Side Two
This month, Patsy Thompson challenged us with doing borders. My favourites were the feather borders where we learned a couple of different designs. The tutorial on how to do take offs and kissing corners to get mirror images was excellent.

I found Patsy's video very helpful in getting the feathers to fit in the border spaces

Here are some close-up shots:







My sample this month uses plain white on side one and black on side two, for a little reversible table topper, measuring 22” x 22”.

I decided to try a very bright variegated thread on both sides and do alternate rows in plain rayon, light blue on the white side and yellow on the black.

Work in progress:

Auditioning for binding.  All along I had thought of using a black and white print but did not care for that look so went with a wild colourful print instead.

choosing binding fabric

I think it looks nice on my blanket box.



Thoroughly enjoyed the whole process, thank you Patsy!

Linking up to SewCalGal Free Motion December Quilting Challenge.

Have a look at what other Canadian bloggers are doing at The Needle and Thread Network.

Terry

18 comments:

Lori S said...

Beautiful! I love your thread choices. I don't know if I could be that brave, but I really love the end result!

Quilting Babcia said...

Outstanding job! I love the fact that your tension is so even that the piece can be reversible - just as gorgeous on the front as the back! Have yet to achieve that level of tension equilibrium myself. Beautiful feather borders, great job!

Anonymous said...

Love it! And I agree with Quilting Babcia...impressed that the tension is perfect so this can be reversible! Great thread choices! Beautiful stitching!

Tammy said...

Beautiful borders Terry. You did a terrific job, I love your big plump feathers filling the entire outside border space. Bravo.. very well done.

LIANE said...

Your sample is awesome! Great job!

elle said...

What a lovely project!

Regina said...

Awesome quilting!

Kathy Schwartz said...

Beautiful border sampler! Patsy is a great teacher and I has always admired her work.

Anonymous said...

This looks really great! I WISH I could quilt half that well, but I guess I really should just practise more... :D I really love the black side of this, and the binding you choose is perfect.

rtquilter said...

Gorgeous quilt! Congratulations to you.

Jacquelin said...

Precioso. Se ve maravilloso.

Raewyn said...

Beautiful!! I really love what you have done.

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

I don't think I've seen a more beautiful piece of quilting.

Janet O. said...

A gorgeous piece! Don't know which side I like better, but the binding choice was excellent. You do beautiful quilting!

Kelly said...

WOW! This is beautiful! I loved Patsy's video, too!

Anonymous said...

Love your quilting and the bright variegated thread is awesome and really shows off the stitching! Wonderful finish! Hugs, Doreen

Hannele said...

you are really talented with quiltig - this is a really awesome piece!

Rebecca Grace said...

Oh, WOW!!!! Your feather borders are absolutely spectacular! I just finished this border challenge today, yes, 10 months later -- but if I had seen your piece first I might have just chickened out and thrown in the towel. Truly inspirational work.