Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Runner


Quilt # 107
Runner
At our workshop during our very first meeting of NOFA (Northern Ontario Fibre Artists) way back in March, 2007, Marie demonstrated how to apply tissue paper to fabric to make “paper fabric”. We could then embellish it in any way we wanted.

I chose to stitch different coloured wool and trim across my piece, which was then cut into the shape of a runner.

For the background, I used a piece of hand dyed muslin to which I added frayed strips from the edge of the fabric to represent grass and then a couple of strips of organza to define the road.
frayed edges and organza strips

I made the quilt sandwich and then quilted some wavy line across the whole piece before appliqueing my runner and giving her some wild looking hair and a headband.

crazy hair
I cut the edges of the back fabric in a curvy design, flipped it to the front and zigzagged it down.
back

Next post, I will show what I did with the scraps of paper fabric.

Happy quilting,

Terry


DOCUMENTATION:
Quilt Name: Runner
Description: Mixed Media - appliqued paper fabric
Pattern: Original
Size: 14½” x 14½”
Fabrics: Hand dyed muslin, organza, tissue paper, wool
Predominant colours: Blue
Construction Techniques: Applique
Back: 100% cotton
Batting: ?
Edge finish: Back folded to front
Quilting: Free motion quilted on Domestic Machine
Quilted by: Terry Whyte
Sleeve: no
Label: no
Date completed: 2007
Maker: Terry Whyte

No comments: