Thursday, October 18, 2012

Swastika United Church


Quilt # 104

Swastika United Church - front

This little 12” x 12” quilt was made as part of a Miniature Guild Challenge. Members were divided into groups of 4 or 5. Our group chose “buildings” as our theme.

I used a photoshop program to turn my photo into a sketch, reversed it and printed it onto stabilizer. I stitched from the back and then added details using a fine line marker and a little colour using fabric colouring pencil.

Swastika United Church - back

I entered all the information that would usually be on a label in my machine and embroidered it in black thread in a circle around the design.

I quilted three different designs in the background using white thread on white fabric.

A black and grey stripe was used for the binding.

This little church was part of our lives when we live in Swastika even though we were not members of that church.

My husband and I led a Cub Pack there for many years and attended many community events where everyone was always made welcomed


DOCUMENTATION:
Quilt Name: Swastika United Church
Description: Thread drawing
Pattern: original – from photo
Size: 12” x 12”
Fabrics: 100% white egyptian cotton
Predominant colours: White and black
Construction Techniques: Black thread on white cotton, marker and colouring pencil.
Back: 100% white egyptian cotton
Batting: bamboo or cotton
Edge finish: Single fold binding
Quilting: Free motion quilted on Domestic Machine
Quilted by: Terry Whyte
Sleeve: yes
Label: machine generated letters in a circle around thread drawing on top of quilt
Date completed: 2011
Quilt History: Second place for Wall hangings at the 2012 Quilt Show of the Kirkland Lake Mile of Gold Quilters' Guild
Maker: Terry Whyte

2 comments:

Dar said...

This is a very cool and pretty project. I love that you do small quilts of different techniques. I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you said you "stitched from the back". Did you do this by machine or hand?

Wish I could get to that place in my quilting journey. Right now I have too much baggage to finish up before embarking on new roads. Hope I live long enough to travel these roads.

Unknown said...

very beautiful quilt!! love your work.
regards from Russia!
:)