Monday, October 1, 2012

O Tannenbaum IV - September's UFO

Quilt # 102.

This is my UFO Challenge 2012 for September, a challenge issued by Judy Laquidara at Patchwork Times.  Have a look and see who else completed some UFOs.

O Tannenbaum IV
#11 is done!

O Tannenbaum IV is the fourth in a series of stylized trees.
See    I and II here   and    III here.

detail of the free motion feather quilting

This is what I started out with this month:



I added the four corner triangles using the 2 batiks that were in the block and then 2 borders from my hand dyed fabrics.

The back was pieced from hand dyed fabrics and some left-over batik from the front.

quilt back





I quilted feathers learned from Diane Gaudynski's online tutorial and stippling in the background very much like O Tannenbaum III.

quilting on back


I stitched the quilt information on one of the pieces before stitching the back together instead of adding a separate label. Much easier.
instead of label

One more of these to go, I'm really liking the finished products and love quilting feathers.
Number 6 is next and the one I have been dreading.

Until next time,

Terry

DOCUMENTATION

Quilt Name: O Tannenbaum IV
Description: wall hanging of stylized tree with borders
Pattern: original
Size: 24½” x 24½”
Fabrics: Batiks, 100% cotton
Predominant colours: gold, moss green, brown
Construction Techniques: Layering of 2 fabrics, stitching and cutting away. Decorative stitches cover raw edges. Technique shared by Maurine Roy in magazine article.
Back: Hand dyed egyptian cotton, batiks, 100% cotton
Batting: wool
Edge finish: single fold facing
Quilting: free motion – feathers & stippling
Quilted by: Terry Whyte
Sleeve: yes
Label: yes (stitched on back)
Date completed: September, 2012
Maker: Terry Whyte

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful finish! I love the hand dyed fabrics. Congratulations!