Tuesday, May 22, 2012

May's FMQ Challenge with Leah Day and Best Friends





These are my first sample pieces using Leah Day's tutorial technique of double stippling. I realized after I completed these that I had covered the whole area a little too well and lost the look of the double stippling.

Double Stippling and Railroad Tracks
 So I gave it another try and liked this a lot better.


Second attempt
Quilt #88 - Best Friends

In keeping with my plan of finishing a UFO using the technique of the month, I picked this lap size Trip Around the World. This was started as a demo for a class. This is a fun technique that I've taught several times.

Sue Nickels shared her method of making this in Quilt Craft magazine back in the nineties sometimes.

Best Friends


This is all that was done when I rescued it from the cupboard.

UFO
I also made a sample to see how the technique and thread would work. This is 100% cotton thread and I like OK except for all the lint it produced in the machine.

Quilting Sample



Here is what the quilting looks like on the quilt top.

Quilting on front of quilt

And on the back.
Quilting on quilt back
Quilt Back



label
I have been following Leah Day for a long time and have used many of her designs on my quilts.  This one was fast and easy as an all over pattern.  Thank you, Leah.


Terry

DOCUMENTATION



Quilt Name: Best Friends
Description: 4½“ squares and 2 borders
Pattern: Trip Around the World
Size: 42” x 60”
Fabrics: 100% cotton
Predominant colours: brown, gold, green
Construction Techniques: method by Sue Nickels as shared in Quilt Craft magazine
Back: 100% cotton
Batting: Hobbs 80/20 Heirloom Fusible
Edge finish: Double fold french binding
Quilting: Free Motion machine quilted
Quilted by: Terry Whyte
Sleeve: No
Label: Yes
Date completed: May, 2012
Maker: Terry Whyte










2 comments:

Béa said...

Your quilting challenge is perfect ! bravo

Janet O. said...

I think you have done a great job on the May challenge. I am slow getting around to all of the links. I like that you have already used the double stipple on a real quilt. Way to go!