Friday, April 27, 2012

Belles at the Ball – Viewer's Choice


Quilt #83

Belles at the Ball


Belles at the Ball was juried into the 5th Contemporary Art Exhibition at the Museum of Northern History in Kirkland Lake, ON  before I left to go California and Arizona. 


While visiting at my daughter's, I received an email telling me that I had won the Open House Viewer's Choice.

I was surprised, excited and very proud to get this award.

The call for entry to artists across Ontario was for miniatures of 2 dimensional, 3 dimensional, perfomance or video works of art.  Works had to be 12" x 12" or smaller.

45 artists from 10 different locations responded and a panel of jurors selected 30 to be included into the exhibit.

Among the 30, three entries were chosen to receive a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place award.

The viewer's choice award was chosen by visitors during the Open House.



Belles at the Ball started out as a finger painted mono print.  After running out of white and black solids, I decided to do a few prints on some hand painted fabric.

This is what the mono print looked like:

Mono Print before stitching


I immediately saw women's shape and stitched those out on the quilt sandwich before filling the background with a free motion design.

The piece was mounted on a 12” x 12” canvas.

Look at the lovely prizes I received for Viewer's Choice:

Viewer's Choice prizes

4 comments:

frantik said...

Великолепно! Очень нравится

Deborah OHare said...

Arrived here via Off the Wall Friday. I just want to say that this is a truly inspiring piece. Congratulations on your success.

Anonymous said...

I am visiting from SewCalGal's fmq link up, and have decided to stay and look around. You sure have an eye for detail! Love the texture you are achieving in your pieces through the variety of fmq patterns that you stitch. You are very inspirational!

Living to work - working to live said...

Like Deborah, I arrived via Off the Wall Friday (what a great thing that is) and love this! I love the fact that you started with a painted piece of fabric. Stunning!