Wednesday, November 9, 2011

M & M


Quilt #50
M & M



This is my guild President's Challenge quilt issued by our guild president in 2001. The “rules” are on the label, which I printed at the time but never attached to the quilt because I typed the wrong year and intended to redo it but......you know how that goes.

back of quilt

Since I still had the label, I decided to change the date and attach it just before taking this picture. An altered label is still better than none.

The challenge was to use a picture as inspiration. I liked the blues, whites and browns in a photo I took of Cathedral Mountain, at Sedona, Arizona.  Sorry, can't find my original photo.


detail

detail

detail, burnt edges

The picture of my grandsons, Matthew and Mackenzie, taken at my parents' 50th wedding anniversary was depicted in the colours found in the Arizona photo.

It is one of my early “art quilt” and certainly the first portrait and probably first painting on fabric.

The applique was applied, off-center, to a diagonal strip-pieced background.
I believe I used liquid dye (Procion “H”) to paint the faces and hand and some of the shadows. I also thread painted and burned the raw edges on the bottom and right side of the applique.

The background was cut on the left and bottom to add a narrow border.

back detail

label - binding



Quilt Name: M & M
Description: Appliqued “portrait” on diagonal strip-pieced background
Pattern: Original from photo
Size: 23½“ x 19¼“
Fabrics: Painted muslin, hand dyed muslin, denim and 100% cotton prints
Predominant colours: Blue, brown and white
Construction Techniques: Strip piecing, applique, painted, thread painted, burnt edges
Back: hand dyed muslin
Batting: Warm and Natural cotton batting
Edge finish: Double fold french binding
Quilting: free motion
Quilted by: Terry Whyte
Sleeve: Yes
Label: Yes
Date completed: 2001
Inspiration: Photos
Quilt History: Displayed at Kirkland Lake Mile of Gold Quilters' Guild 2002 Quilt Show
Maker: Terry Whyte

No comments: