Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Dyeing to Play 3 – Birdhouse

Quilt #27

Birdhouse
One of the customs of our quilting guild is for our president to issue the members a challenge before the end of her 2 years term.

Birdhouse was made in response to Helen's Crayola Challenge in the fall of 2007, which entailed picking three crayons from a bag. The three colours chosen had to be used in a small quilt and one more colour could be added.

My colours were brown, green and orange, I added yellow (gold) as my fourth colour.

I also decided to only use my Dyeing to Play fabrics as a further challenge to myself.

I appliqued the birdhouse onto the brown background and then stitched in the lines for the bricks. The “mortar” and shadow details were coloured with a marker. The light spots on the bricks and the roof were discharged with bleach.

3-D Leaves

Some of the leaves were appliqued while the 3-dimensional ones were made by fusing two layers of fabric together and stitching in the veins. They were then applied to the quilt by sewing through the centre line of each leaf.

Birdhouse won the Guild Crayola Challenge in October, 2007 and was displayed in the Kirkland Lake Mile of Gold Quilter's Guild 2008 annual show.

back of quilt

This quilt measures 13 ¼” x 17 ¾”.


Have a great day,


Terry