Thursday, March 10, 2011

Country Stars - Medallion I

Quilt #19

Medallion I
My quilt this week is another medallion, this is the first one I made in a series of four quilts using the same pattern. Elephant Walk, the very first quilt (#1) on this blog, is third in the series.
centre

I used the same pattern, except for the central 12” block, and border #7 made up of 6” blocks.  This change gives each quilt an original feel.
border #7 - 6" stars

When making a large quilt, I like to cut swatches of the fabrics I'm going to use, separate them in values and glue them on to a sheet of paper. This allows me to see if I have enough fabric of each value and if my colour scheme is going to work.
swatches

This one is slightly smaller than the others. I enlarged the last pieced border, to make a better bed size, when I decided to teach it as a class.

I used a paisley brushed cotton for the back of the quilt, it feels similar to flannel.

back and binding
When my parents were in a Nursing Home, I would bring them a different quilt for their beds every 3 or 4 weeks, and this one was my Dad's favourite.

Have a great day,

Terry






Quilt Name: Medallion I
Description: Medallion Quilt – This quilt is an original design. 
Pattern: I don't remember the name of the centre block or where I got the pattern. The 6” blocks are Sawtooth Stars. The other borders are either plain or from traditional designs made up from squares, half-square triangles, flying geese and big & little chain of squares.
Size: 69” x 86”
Fabrics: 100% cotton
Predominant colours: Yellow, gold, turquoise , brown, red.
Construction Techniques: Twelve pieced and plain borders were added around a central square. A striped fabric was used in the central block as well as 2 of the borders.
Back: Paisley brushed cotton
Batting: Polyester
Edge finish: Double fold french binding
Quilting: Machine quilted on domestic sewing machine. Nylon thread on top and black polyester thread on the back. Stitch in the ditch, swirls, feathers.
Quilted by: Terry Whyte
Sleeve: No
Label: No
Date completed: 1997 or 1998
Inspiration: By Ginny Beyer's medallion quilts
Appraised: No
Quilt History: This quilt was displayed in the Kirkland Lake Mile of Gold Quilter's Guild 2002 Annual Quilt Show in May
Maker: Terry Whyte






No comments: